Here is what happened to me tonight, in play form (just for Jenny):
[I enter Firehouse subs and order a sub - regular turkey, no onions or mustard. While waiting for above mentioned sub, an older black gentlemen sitting in a chair starts to speak to me]
Man: Excuse me, young lady. I am recruiting people for the army. If you're interested, I could have you signed up by the time we are done waiting here.
Me: Excuse me? [with a slight tone of disbelief] ME sign up for the ARMY?
Man: Yes, that's right. I could sign you up and take you away from all of this miserable heat.
Me: So I could go be in the heat "over there?" No, thank you.
Man: What if I raised my right hand a promised you wouldn't have to go "over there?"
Me: No, thank you. I have a family.
[Meanwhile I'm thinking, "ARE YOU NUTS?" Plus, "Am I not too old for the army?" I decided not to ask, as this would just prolong this bizarre conversation further]
[At this point, I start thinking about the conversation I had with my dad when I was about 8. He told me if I was ever going to go in the service, I shouldn't go in the Army because I'd have to crawl around in the jungle with bugs - not something I'd handle well. I shouldn't go in the Marines, because that's just stupid. I shouldn't go in the Navy because I'd have to sleep with someone's feet in my face. He advised me to go into the Air Force (FYI - Something I did attempt later in life - but was rejected - I'll tell that story another time). I contemplated telling this gentleman that, but decided instead to smile politely and hope he dropped the subject. No such luck.]
Man: Well, I've been over there twice. And I've come back.
Me: That's good.
Counter person: Will? Your order is ready.
[older gentleman gets up, gets his sub and walks out without saying any more]
I certainly hope I wasn't rude. I didn't mean to be. I have every bit of respect for the people who serve our country. It's also the very LAST thing I ever expected to be confronted with in Firehouse Subs. Then I started thinking what possessed him to talk to me and what I should have said. I certainly don't look 18 anymore, and I would like to think I don't look like I need a steady job. Then I started to think that I should have said, "At this point in my life, the last thing I need is to go in the Army. I have a loving family, my master's degree, and a full time job. That would have told him I wasn't interested AND that I was too old to start out in the army and that I'm gainfully employed.
Hmmm. I'll have to file this one under "Weird Occurences." What do you think?
1 comment:
I could've told the guy what a mistake that would be. I've been trying to get you to take orders for 16 years.
It hasn't worked.
xoxo
Post a Comment